Cape Pembroke Lighthouse

£0.00

Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, 1855/1906

Description

The lighthouse Cape Pembroke in the Falkland Islands marks the entrance to Port Stanley harbour. For a long time it was the most southerly manned lighthouse in the world.

The red and white painted, prefabricated iron lighthouse erected in 1855 was shipped from England and was 17m tall – showing a light powered by colza oil. Around 1904 the wooden foundations were found to be rotten and the lighthouse was dismantled and re-erected on new foundations nearby. A new lantern was fitted at that time and the lighthouse was painted black and white to improve its visibility.

The lighthouse was put out of action during the invasion by Argentine forces. It was not repaired and an alternative light has been shown from a low pole nearby ever since. The lighthouse has now been renovated and restored. It is accessible by arrangement.

Technical Details

Location Position Height Built Character
Falkland Islands 51.681834°S 57.720400°W 21m 1855 not currently in use

Model Details

Scale Height Pieces Sheets Difficulty (1-5)
1:250 8.5cm 47 1 x A4 4 [Difficult]

Model Preview