The island of Flatholm lies in the middle of shipping lanes of the Bristol Channel and the lighthouse acts as a warning and navigation aid to passing ships. The lighthouse was originally coal fired and, dating from 1737, was one of the first built in the UK. It was converted to oil lights in 1820 when the tower was raised to it’s current height and a new lantern was added.
The lighthouse is fully automated and not normally open to the public.
This model is part of a range of models of English and Welsh lighthouses produced under the terms of a licencing agreement with Trinity House.
|Flatholm Island, Bristol Channel, UK||51? 22′.50 N 03? 07′.00 W||30m||1737||Fl (1) WR 10s|
|1:250||12cm||32||2 x A4||3 [Moderate]|