The self-standing fog signal building at Souter Point lighthouse was built in 1871 and originally had compressed air powered fog horns. These were replaced in 1879 by sirens and again in 1919 with more powerful versions. The current Stone-Chance diaphone fog signals were fitted in 1953 sounding through exponential horns. The fog-horn operated up to 1988 when the lighthouse and fog signal was closed by Trinity House.
The fog signal is not open to the public but the lighthouse next door can be visited. The fog horn is in working order and is often sounded throughout the year for visitors. See local information about opening times, etc.
When in use, the fog horn sounded one 5 second blast every 30 seconds (it has a range of 2 nautical miles (3.7 km; 2.3 miles))
|Marsden, Tyne and Wear, UK||1953||Fo 5s (1) 30s 2nm|
|1:250||3cm||15||1 x A4||3 [Moderate]|