London’s only lighthouse was designed by James Douglass and built at Trinity House’s Bow Creek depot in 1866. Properly referred to as the Experimental Lighthouse, it was never intended to be used operationally – but rather was used to test new lighting technologies and to train new lighthouse keepers.
The tower was built beside the Chain and Buoy Store, built in 1864, and replaced an earlier experimental lighthouse. The new tower was used by Michael Faraday for his work investigating electric lights as a possible light source.
Trinity House closed the depot in 1988 and the site is now run by Urban Space Management under the name Trinity Buoy Wharf. It provides studio space for artists, flats and other spaces.
|London, UK||Bow Creek, London||17.5m||1866||Unlit|
|1:250||7cm||60||3 x A4||3??[Moderate]|