Over 150 Martello towers were built along the East and South coasts of England and Ireland between 1790 and 1800 to protect against invasion by the French. Modeled on a tower in Mortella Bay, Corsica, they were short and squat with massively thick, brick-built walls.
The English south coast towers were armed with a single, 24-pounder smooth-bore cannon mounted on a traversing carriage on the roof.
|12m||10m||1 x 24 pounder||22|
|1:250||5cm||30||1 x A4||4 [Difficult]|