Pakefield lighthouse was built and first lit in 1831. Situated just south of Lowestoft on the Suffolk coast it had a fixed red light which marked the safe channel through dangerous offshore sandbanks.
However the sandbanks shifted and Pakefield lighthouse was declared redundant and closed in 1864. The lighthouse’s 10m high tower has since been used as a war-time oservation post, store-room and holiday camp darkroom. It is currently used during the summer months by the Coastwatch Service.
The model has been designed based on original photographs and drawings – 2 models are included, showing the original and current appearances of the lighthouse.
|Suffolk, UK||2 miles south of Lowestoft||10m||1831||Fixed Red, 9nm|
|1:250||4cm||30||1 x A4||3 [Moderate]|