Portland Bill at the extreme southern end of the huge shingle spit known as Chesil Beach has always been a hazard to shipping. Lighthouses have marked the spot since 1716 but the current 41m tower was built in 1906 – it replaced a pair of high and low lights that are now private dwellings.
The lighthouse is fully automatic but the keepers cottages are now a visitor center open to the public. See local announcements for opening times, etc.
This model is part of a range of models of English and Welsh lighthouses produced under the terms of a licencing agreement with Trinity House.
|Dorset, UK||50? 30′.82 N
02? 27′.30 W
|41m||1906||Fl(4) W 15s 25nm|
|1:250||16.5cm||100||4 x A4||4 [Difficult]|