This small lighthouse is situated at the end of the Mail Pier in Holyhead, Wales. It was built in 1821 during the works at the harbour to handle the new packet service from Holyhead to Ireland.
The 15m tall lighthouse was designed by the famous engineer John Rennie and built from local stone. It has one of the oldest unaltered lanterns in Wales and originally had a fixed white light. It is no longer in use.
A matching lighthouse was built in Howth near Dublin as the other terminal for the packet service.
The Mail Pier is open to the public but the tower itself is not open to visitors.
|Holyhead, Wales||53.18 51?N 4.37 12?W||15m||1812||F W 5nm|
|1:250||5.8cm||12||1 x A4||3 [Moderate]|