A lighthouse was first lit by Trinity House at Hurst point in 1786. The changing nature of the safe channel and the shingle spit, as well as the need to guide shipping further through the channel to Southampton has meant several lighthouses and leading lights have been built and abandoned over time. The current lighthouse dates from 1867 and was extensively modernised (including electrification) in 1997.
The lighthouse is fully automatic and not normally open to the public.
This model is part of a range of models of English and Welsh lighthouses produced under the terms of a licencing agreement with Trinity House.
|Hampshire, UK||50 42′. 44 N
01 32′.94 W
|26m||1867||Fl(4) WR 15s 14nm|
|1:250||10.5cm||40||2 x A4||4 [Difficult]|