Nab Tower lies in the Solent on the approach to Southampton and Portsmouth. The tower was built during WWI and was originally intended as one of 8 between Dover and Calais holding anti-submarine nets to block the Channel to U-boats. Unfinished at the end of WWI it was used to replace the lightship at Nab Bank and sunk in position in 1920. Originally oil-fired, the small lantern was replaced with a modern one in 1984 when the lighthouse was automated and converted to solar power.
The lighthouse is fully automated and is not open to the public. Work was carried out during the autumn/winter of 2013 radically re-built the lighthouse and it’s old form is shown in another Paper Shipwright lighthouse model (PL62a). The model shows the lighthouse as it currently appears.
This model is part of a range of models of English and Welsh lighthouses produced under the terms of a licencing agreement with Trinity House.
|Solent, UK||50? 40′.05 N 00? 57′.07 W||17m||1920||Fl (1) W 10s|
|1:250||8cm||20||2 x A4||5 [Difficult]|