Jeffrey’s Hook Lighthouse on the banks of the Hudson River in New York is much better known as the Little Red Lighthouse. This tiny lighthouse featured in the 1941 children’s book by Hildegard Swift and Lynd Ward, titled appropriately enough “The Little Red Lighthouse”.
The lighthouse was originally built on the other side of the Hudson in 1880 and moved to it’s present position in 1921. It is 17m high and made of cast iron.
When the lighthouse was declared redundant in 1955 and threatened by demolition, a national outcry ensued, voiced mainly by people with fond memories of reading the book and before any organisations dedicated to preserving historic buildings were created. The lighthouse was saved and it is now cared for by the New York County Parks Department.
|xx Island, New York||New York State, USA||17.5m||1866||Unlit|
|1:250||7cm||60||1 x A4||3??[Moderate]|